Malibu Pier is a recreational area with lots of couples and family oriented activities. Among them: fishing from the pier, tide pools, bird watching, whale watching, biking, sun bathing, swimming, eating, kite flying, surfing, watching the sun set, strolling along the ocean, etc.
With all the activities, it'll be our job to build the pier as a tourist attraction and to reinforce it as a destination among locals. In that regard, the Malibu Pier is a local and national landmark who wants to brand itself as a destination with fun, wholesome couple and family oriented attractions.
We are taking the first seasonal activity, Whale Watching, and asking for artists, illustrators and designers to take our elements and create a beautiful poster that'll be attractive on it's own merit. We want the poster to have marketability on it's own and for it to stand out. It'll brand the Malibu Pier overall, but it's primary function is to sell Whale Watching excursions.
The target audience for this assignment are winter season whale watchers from the Southern California area. This poster will be displayed at merchants in Malibu and nearby Santa Monica. The assets will also be repurposed for an advertisement that will run in Los Angeles area media - albeit, the budget is small for that. This poster may be made into a street lamp hanging banner, if the city tourism bureau gets behind it. The audience is very regional, however, we'd love to have a winning design that we can enter into design competitions so that would create a halo effect with the final poster.
Inspired by deco art, travel posters - see GG Park samples. Simple, iconic elements brand the park posters, we want ours similar. To wit, we are calling for interpretations of our poster art to be "inspired by" the illustrative style of these travel posters, be they French Art, WPA, National Parks, SF Parks.
Image enhancement should take on a "painterly" quality. The art can be photographic, enhanced, filtered and/or illustrated - but work with our supplied images available at: http://rcpt.yousendit.com/100521089…4432f65a81 Buy any stock if it enhances your piece. But only purchase stock that you're willing to pay for.
• Create a 300 dpi 23" x 36" poster
• Work in either .psd/.ai/.ind. I need layered files with assets easily editable. Outline the headline is ok.
• Design a strong headline with a deco motif. Use deco-era font and make the headline classy. 3D or shadows effects - ok. Make it pop and have personality relevant to the period.
• Head (Mandatory): Malibu Whale Watching
• Sub (Optional): Don't Miss 'Em
• CTA: Departing from MALIBU PIER. Use the Malibu Pier sign to spell this out at the bottom of the piece.
• (Optional)You can use the boat picture if you like
• (Mandatory) Use an image of a group pointing as if they're pointing at the whales.
• FEATURE Whale breaching or retreating in/out of water.
InDepth brief is with assets