How Katrina Thomas started their logo design journey
Katrina Thomas Photography
I am a custom photography photographer specializing in couples, maternity and theatrical portraiture. I am in the process of expanding my services and products and need a new logo to match these new services as well as my personality. Although very thorough in my work, I am also deeply passionate about what I do and have a lot of energy to match. (Think the Road Runner meets the mad scientist.) Photography sessions with me are like play dates for adults. Fun, sometimes ridiculous and always entertaining. Custom photography is a luxury so it is important that my clients feel pampered and are excited about the images we create together.
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
My target audience are generally couples and families. A lot of my products and services are geared toward the more aesthetically discerning clientele, as well as more technologically savy. Although I am not doing event photography at the moment, I believe that I will be entering that market within 2 years and would like to keep this logo. I will be using this logo in all of my marketing materials, my website, and business cards.
Go nuts! I welcome diversity in all the designs. I will give feedback asap to provide guidance. Some general thoughts are outlined below.
- Must be a file type that will allow for multiple applications and sizes.
- Must be easy to read, not too "swirly", but also not too plain or masculine
- Please limit the colors to 2-3, no gradients
- This logo will be used on the website, all marketing materials, invoices, proofs, business cards, etc.
- Please refrain from using cheesy photography symbols in the design. i.e lenses, apertures, film, etc.
- I am open to a crisp, modern typeface, as well as something perhaps a bit softer or even edgier- as long as it is legible.
- The current logo, which I "designed" (and boy do I use that term loosely) is attached. What I do like about it is the symbol almost takes the shape of a pregnant belly. I don't want anything too overtly "maternity-ish" though since this logo needs to speak to a wider audience.
- I like the idea of incorporating elements which could be subconsciously associated with couple, pregnancy, or family.
- I am not afraid of color, so please feel free to use some!