Family life is both messy and holy! The family is a topic that has been getting a lot of attention both in the Catholic sphere and the secular world — and especially so now that Pope Francis will be attending the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia this fall. In this book, you'll find practical advice that does more than just tell you how family is "supposed" to be, but rather guides you through the holy messiness of family life. Since it takes a village, multiple family experts contribute on topics like sharing your faith, vocations, marriage, sexuality, and challenges families face.
- A modern, creative design that offers a fresh take on a very popular topic.
- Include title, “Family, the Church, and the Real World”. We would prefer an original title treatment that makes the text more than just words on a page, but rather incorporates it creatively into the cover design.
- Include “Redemptorist Pastoral Publication” and “Introduction by Mary Beth Yount, PhD”
- Design must be related to family and/or religion.
- If people or skin are pictured, show ethnic and age diversity. However, the design does not have to feature people.
- Design must NOT be stale, boring, or overly “churchy.” That is not to say that you can’t use a picture of a church or a cross — this is a book about the church, so religious images are fine but not required. The style of the design MUST look fresh and original rather than preachy or stuffy. Remember this is a book for the *average* Catholic family living in a messy world.
You can take creative liberties with the design, but here are some possible concepts we’d like to see:
- Concept 1: Design a cover that REPRESENTS, symbolizes, or conveys the concept of family, but is not a literal picture of a family. Look at some of our sample covers to get a feel for what we’re looking for, but then come up with your own creative idea to represent “family”. Think about how to simply illustrate the idea of holy messiness in everyday family life. A good example of a similar cover is “More Love (Less Panic)”. Samples attached.
- Concept 2: Create a beautiful, colorful collage as the cover. Include diverse people of varying ages and other family/church elements, such as a cross or a church. This collage design should evoke the beautiful messiness of everyday family life. “Beautiful” is key; the images should not look overly busy or cluttered. Keep it simple enough that the reader can easily see all the elements. It should flow together in an unusually beautiful design. You could also create a collage of a single face made from images of different faces. The pieces must look different but still fit together.
- Concept 3: Your own idea!